Subscribe to Belle Curve: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Belle Curve is brought to you by HigherEchelon, Inc. – find HigherEchelon at higherechelon.com and on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
Are You Dealing with Burnout in Life and Work?
Last year’s holiday season was so different. Many of us stayed away from family gatherings and big Christmas parties, but this year we’re warming up to things looking a little (dare we say..) normal?
As much as the holidays are romanticized, they’re also a breeding ground for the B-Word… Burnout!
There are 365 days in a year, and about 365,000 ways to experience burnout, but sometimes it feels like 364,000 of them all converge around the holiday season. In this episode, we discuss some of the surprising things that can lead to burnout (hint: it’s not always being over-tasked) and how to take ownership of your actions and feelings to maximize your capacity in sustainable, healthy ways that don’t require you to put in your two week’s notice or burn to the ground.
What Are Some Signs You May Be Dealing with Burnout?
According to Healthline, here are a few key signs of burnout:
- “Forgetfulness and difficulty concentrating
- Diminished pride in your work
- Losing sight of yourself and your goals
- Difficulty maintaining relationships and being present with loved ones
- Frustration and irritability with co-workers
- Unexplained muscle tension, pain, fatigue, and insomnia”
Burnout can have significant impacts. According to the Harvard Business Review, “Research has also linked burnout to many negative physical and mental health outcomes, including coronary artery disease, hypertension, sleep disturbances, depression, and anxiety, as well as to increased alcohol and drug use. Moreover, burnout has been shown to produce feelings of futility and alienation, undermine the quality of relationships, and diminish long-term career prospects.”
- Harvard Business Review – 4 Steps to Beating Burnout
- Healthline.com – Burnout Recovery: 11 Strategies to Help You Reset
- The Mayo Clinic – Job Burnout: How to spot it and Take Action
- Susan Pinker Ted Talk: The secret to living longer may be your social life
- HigherEchelon, Inc. is a consulting firm providing Human Capital Services including executive coaching and training in leadership, resilience, adaptability, applied high performance, change management, and a range of mental, emotional, and psychological skillsets meant to optimize organizational performance. The organization also provides a range of technology services such as Salesforce Implementations and Consulting, Enterprise Technology solutions, Gaming and Simulation services, and Cyber and Engineering Services.
- HigherEchelon on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Listen to Belle Curve on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or wherever you download podcasts and leave us a review!
Belle Curve Podcast is sponsored by HigherEchelon, Inc. and co-hosted by Rachel Bryars, Mary Scott Hunter, and Liz Beshears